Earth Friendly is corn gluten meal. Corn gluten meal is a product of the corn milling industry. Corn gluten meal has been used for years as a pet food and animal feed ingredient. Recently, researchers have found corn gluten meal to have weed control properties. Since corn gluten meal is all natural, it is an excellent source of slow-release nitrogen.
Earth Friendly is distributed by Cereal Byproducts Company, Mount Prospect IL. Earth Friendly is available in 50 pound multi-wall paper bags and in 1 ton tote bags.
Weed ControlTests at Iowa State University have shown that Earth Friendly applied twice a year over a 3 year period on a heavily crabgrass infested lawn, can reduce this weed by as much as 91%. Through persistent use, it will control the emergence of crabgrass, dandelions, clover, foxtail, perslane, lamb's quarter, creeping bentgrass, smartweed, redroot pigweed, barnyardgrass and bermudagrass. There is no postemergence weed control with corn gluten meal.
FertlizerEarth Friendly contains 9 percent nitrogen. Earth Friendly is all natural, making it an excellent source of slow-release nitrogen. Using the recommended application rate, your lawn will receive 4.50 pounds of nitrogen per 2500 square feet, approximately double the amount found in inorganic fertilizer.
ApplicationEarth Friendly is effective when applied twice a year, spring and fall. It should be applied once in the spring between a period of time before the forsythias begin to bloom and up to the time that they bloom in your area. After the fall, apply after the long hot period of summer has ended. Earth Friendly is only effective on weeds before they emerge. The application rate for lawns is 50 pounds per 2500 square feet. For lawns, use a spreader set at approximately 2/3 open. Over application will not burn your lawn. Do not use on newly seeded lawns or gardens or over-seeded lawns. For gardens, work Earth Friendly in the top 2-3 inches of the soil. Earth Friendly should be deeply watered in after application on lawns and gardens and allowed to dry.
EnvironmentCorn gluten meal is an all natural ingredient. In fact, it may be found in your pet's food. Your children and pets can play on the lawn immediately after application. Store in a cool dry area. The EPA has exempted corn gluten meal from FIFRA regulations.
PackagingEarth Friendly is available in 3 ply multi colored paper bags with a poly liner and UPC. It is available in 50 pound sizes. Earth Friendly is also available in 1 ton tote bags. Minimum order one pallet, 40/50 lb. bags
Guaranteed Analysis Water Insoluble Nitrogen7.65%Water Soluble Nitrogen1.35%Total Nitrogen (N)9.00%